The Cochrane Oral Health Review Group comprises an international network of healthcare professionals, researchers and consumers preparing, maintaining, and disseminating systematic reviews of randomised controlled trials in oral health. Oral health is broadly conceived to include the prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of oral, dental and craniofacial diseases and disorders.
Click here to read our Newcomer's Guide to COHG.
The Oral Health Group is one of 53 review groups around the world belonging to The Cochrane Collaboration: an international non-profit and independent organisation, providing up-to-date information about the effects of health care.
Oral Health Group reviews and protocols are published on the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) on The Cochrane Library, a regularly updated collection of evidence-based healthcare databases available on DVD-ROM and on the Internet.
The most recent issue of The Cochrane Library was Issue 11, released in November 2013. Within it, COHG published:
- Clinical assessment to screen for the detection of oral cavity cancer and potentially malignant disorders in apparently healthy adults
Walsh T, Liu JLY, Brocklehurst P, Glenny A-M, Lingen M, Kerr AR, et al.
- Enamel etching for bonding fixed orthodontic braces
Hu H, Li C, Li F, Chen J, Sun J, Zou S, et al.
Updated reviews - Conclusions unchanged
- Routine scale and polish for periodontal health in adults
Worthington HV, Clarkson JE, Bryan G, Beirne PV.
- Screening programmes for the early detection and prevention of oral cancer
Brocklehurst P, Kujan O, O'Malley LA, Ogden G, Shepherd S, Glenny A-M.
Updated reviews - Conclusions changed
- Orthodontic treatment for prominent upper front teeth (Class II malocclusion) in children
Thiruvenkatachari B, Harrison JE, Worthington HV, O'Brien KD.
In Issue 10, released in October 2013, COHG published:
- Orthodontic treatment for distalising upper first molars in children and adolescents
Jambi S, Thiruvenkatachari B, O'Brien KD, Walsh T.
- Antibiotics for the prophylaxis of bacterial endocarditis in dentistry
Glenny A-M, Oliver R, Roberts GJ, Hooper L, Worthington HV.
In Issue 9, released in September 2013, COHG published:
- Interventions for managing relapse of the lower front teeth after orthodontic treatment
Yu Y, Sun J, Lai W, Wu T, Koshy S, Shi Z.
- Interventions for the management of dry mouth: non-pharmacological interventions
Furness S, Bryan G, McMillan R, Birchenough S, Worthington HV.
Updated reviews (conclusions unchanged)
- Interventions for replacing missing teeth: dental implants in zygomatic bone for the rehabilitation of the severely deficient edentulous maxilla
Esposito M, Worthington HV.
- Interventions for replacing missing teeth: hyperbaric oxygen therapy for irradiated patients who require dental implants
Esposito M, Worthington HV.
- Xylitol-containing products for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents
Sharif MO, Ahmed F, Worthington HV.
To find out what has recently been published within the Cochrane Library, please click here.
The 2012 Impact Factor for the CDSR is 5.703, consequently, the CDSR is now ranked 11 of the 151 in the Medicine, General & Internal category.
Activities of the Group are co-ordinated by its Editorial Base, located within the School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, United Kingdom.