What is a Cochrane Review?
Cochrane Reviews are systematic reviews of research (please see right hand panel for an explanation) in healthcare and health policy that are published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. There are three types of Cochrane Review:
- Intervention reviews assess the benefits and harms of interventions used in healthcare and health policy.
- Diagnostic test accuracy reviews assess how well a diagnostic test performs in diagnosing and detecting a particular disease.
- Methodology reviews address issues relevant to how systematic reviews and clinical trials are conducted and reported.
Cochrane Reviews base their findings on the results of trials which meet certain quality criteria, since the most reliable studies will provide the best evidence for making decisions about health care. Authors of Cochrane Reviews apply methods which reduce the impact of bias across different parts of the review process, including:
- Identification of relevant studies from a number of different sources (including unpublished sources);
- Selection of studies for inclusion and evaluation of their strengths and limitations on the basis of clear, predefined criteria;
- Systematic collection of data;
- Appropriate synthesis of data.
These methods are described in detail in the Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions.
Cochrane Oral Health Group Reviews
Protocols are the introduction, objectives, materials and methods for reviews currently being prepared, whereas Cochrane Reviews are updated to reflect the findings of new evidence when it becomes available because the results of new studies can change the conclusions of a review; therefore, Cochrane Reviews are valuable sources of information for those receiving and providing care, as well as for decision-makers and researchers.
Please use the links below to find review titles in varying stages in production:
- Updates, Reviews, Protocols and Titles
Here you'll find all Oral Health Group registered titles in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) in The Cochrane Library.
- Rejected Review Titles
For a variety of reasons there are a number of proposed review titles that have been rejected by COHG's editorial team.
Before submitting a proposal for a new review, please check that the topic has not already been considered and rejected by consulting the list.
The full text of COHG's reviews and protocols are available at:
Abstracts of these reviews are also available in:
If, after reading this section, you wish to participate in the Oral Health Group, please visit our Getting Involved page.